Where should I begin??? We have been so busy lately...which is why I haven't posted in a while.
I will start with 2 weeks ago tonight..
We went to Braxton's Pre-K cookout at the school....we were having a good time, had dinner, kids were playing, Mike and I were chatting with other parents..no worries right???
WRONG.......Mike was talking to a couple parents where we had decided to sit and I had wandered off to talk to a couple friend of ours that were sitting a little ways away.
I decided I better go back and see what is going on where we were sitting and when I get over there some of the parents tell me that Mike and both kids are in the school cause Gracie fell off the MONKEY BARS!!!!
So I hurry inside and Mike is frantically cleaning off (she fell on the wood chips on the playground and had them all over her) a very distraught Gracie!!!
She was complaining of her wrist hurting, so of course we ask her if she can move it...she can (barely). So Mike continues to clean her up as I try to calm her.
After we got her all cleaned up we went back outside and one of our friends that was sitting with us is a nurse...so she took a look at Gracies wrist, felt around on it....didn't think that it was broken but told us to put some ice on it when we got home. Then she continued to check Gracie out to make sure that we weren't missing anything.
So we decided that it was probably time to go....and we went home and got her some ice for her wrist then had to run into town to run some errands.
Midway through errands I was looking at her hand, and noticed that her wrist wasn't swollen, it was more her thumb!!!! I had Mike look at it, and he thought that maybe she just jammed it.
So onto the weekend....she protected that hand all weekend....bumped it a few times and had melt downs each time, so we iced it some more. All the while, Mike still thought that it was jammed. We threw around the idea of taking her to the walk in clinic a few times over the weekend and decided against it.
So finally Monday morning rolls around and I know that she needs to go to school, but I get scared cause I think that someone is going to hit it, or she will fall on it and make it worse. So I decided since it was still swollen and black and blue that it was time to get it checked out.
So off to the dr. we go..........GUESS WHAT??????
I am such a bad mom......SHE BROKE HER THUMB!!!!! I felt bad ALL DAY...I can't believe I made her go all weekend with a broken thumb!!!! She broke the bone that connects your thumb to your hand. The dr said that usually kids break their wrists falling off the monkey bars and he has never seen any little ones break that bone all the way through like she did. Go figure.
So for those of you that have children that are looking for ways to break a limb and get a cast...(and I think that you know who you are :) ) there you go....MONKEY BARS!!! Major DANGER!!!!
Here are some pics for you.... Her right hand...not swollen nearly as bad as it was on Saturday.
Getting ready for her cast...that she was very excited about.
And guess what color she wanted?????
Have you guessed yet??? Pink.....
with purple stripes.
I wasn't sure that she would be so excited about the cast by the end of the week, but she has adapted well to it.
She is writing with her left hand, and doing a fabulous job at...I can't believe how well she is doing writing with her left hand. And she hasn't complained once about it itching. One more week to go with it and then it get taken off and x rayed. Hopefully it is healed and she can keep it off. 
Friday, October 10, 2008
Monkey bar madness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment